A Phonics Test For Teachers:
Why a phonics test for teachers?
We know phonics is just one tool to use to identify words so how do we know how to teach it?
The answer may be that a teacher has extensive knowledge of phonics so she or he can diagnose when students need a phonics lesson on the fly and can proved it.
If a teacher is weak in phonics knowledge, then she or he will:
1. Skip it altogether (not good).
2. Teach everything in a phonic’s teacher’s manual (also not good).
Knowledge of phonics enables teachers to make professional decisions on the fly on what, when, and how much to teach.
Check your phonics knowledge with the following test.
Phonics Test for Teachers
1. Underline seven words in this sentence starting with a single consonant sound.
2. Underline the words below that contain consonant blends:
Irish trigger flag clip bland picture blot
3. List two three-letter blends.
4. What is a consonant digraph?
5. The word diphtong contains three consonant digraphs. List them.
6. List six words that might help a child decide how to pronounce words with a "hard" C
7. A "soft" g is in the word: got ghost frog wage
8. After each of these nonsense words, write H if the c is "hard" or S if the c is "soft.
9. "Th" is unvoiced in: them thimble thistle thin they
10. Following are four nonsense words containing various sounds that y often represents. Match them with words that contain the same sounds usually represented by y.
11. The letter x stands for three sounds. Write a word to represent each of the three sounds:
12. The letter q stands for two sounds. Words that contain examples of each of these are:
13. Words ending in s, you may hear either an s or a z sound Write s or z after each word, indicating which sound you hear at the end:
14. There is a silent consonant in each of these words. Circle each silent consonant:
comb wren talk knew listen often
15. Write an L or an S after each of these words, depending on whether the word contains a long or a short vowel sound. Write X if the word contains neither.
16. In the nonsense word dode, the letter o would probably represent the sound that the o represents in:
on out comb hotter brown
17. In the nonsense word oap, the letter o would represent the sound that the o represents in:
rot round fox Rome
18. A vowel digraph is in the word:
slam goat bugle couch funnel
19. A diphthong is... Underline All the diphthongs in these words.
couch boy through oil now known
20. What symbol is used to represent the schwa sound in a dictionary?
21. Underline the vowel in each word below that represents the schwa sound:
balloon eaten ago golden beautify silent button circus consistent modify second
22. Underline all of the following nonsense words that are correctly divided into syllables:
ham/ner de/fort/ly deg/or mec/hor
23. The word polysyllabic contains how many syllables?
24. Write 0 or C after each word to show whether the syllable is open or closed:
25. A grapheme is
26. A phoneme is