Information for educators or anyone wanting to teach
Getting started on what you need to know
- Annotated educational references | Books (education, psychology, development, sociology, management, other) | Videos |
- Educational Issues and Trends
- Professional science educator development process: knowledge, skills, dispositions, & process of becoming an outstanding professional science educator
- Interview sample questions
- Middle school characteristics, theory, development, teaching, and instruction resources
- Portfolio: annotated outline for creating subject centered portfolios
- Subjects and disciplines Dimensions ... What teachers need to know to teach Subjects
- Teacher Action plan: steps with annotation and examples for creating teacher action plans
- Principled procedure documents for teaching: mathematics, literature, & science
- Ten step planning process to guide the development of an independent project --->>>with a completed sample
- Technology - directions and tutorials for IPhotos, IMovie, ITunes, and Windows media
General Educational Theory:
The following can be used in an instructional plan to introduce, discuss, and develop a general educational philosophy and theory. Approximatly three sessions with individual development between sessions.
- Donkey Fable: why theories are importantto have and use
- Purposes of education: a comprehensive list of reasons for educatation and schooling
- Two essays to think about education: | New Directions | Quality schools & how to select them |
- Seven focus questions to consider for a powerful educational theory
- My response to the seven focus questions
- My educational theory in narrative form
Theories Related to Learning and Human Development
- Constructivist Learning theory model - Piagetian based
- Children and adolescent development characteristics and related activities
- What is hands on?
- Model for different organizational patterns
- Multiple intelligences theory explained on grid
- Multiple intelligences example for nine categories
- Physical activity and learning slide show and PDF
- Illusions and other brain ideas that stop or hinder learning
- Social theory notes
- Moral and ethical theory notes
- Erikson's psychosocial theory
- Kohlberg moral development theory
- Historical theoretical causes of behavior
- Inquiry theory
- Critical thinking, decision making, metacognition, problem solving, reasoning, & proof
Big picture resources for curriculum development
- What is curriculum: an introduction, general classifications of different definitions with advantages and disadvantages of each. | twenty plus curriculum definitions |
- Considerations and procedure for curriculum development and exploration of change
- Model for developing curriculum with kinds of curricular documents examples of decision screens and procedures from planning to evaluating. A great overview for doing curriculum.
- Sample mission statement
- Pros and Cons for a National Curriculum and National or State Standards
- Survey of curriculum thoughts to use as a pretest for a curriculum study, class, or unit.
- Critical thinking curriculum goals & assessment outline
- * Lola Way K-8 science curriculum: 1947 historical document
- Organization of information: Big ideas ... Integrated ... subject ... Narrow focus.
Resources and tools for planning, implementing, and developing curriculum
- Information about standards, standard documents, and organizations that developed and maintain them
- Kinds of activities list
- Possible classroom and academic organizational pattern possibilities
- Use of an instructional theory or model: See above general teaching model, learning cycle, cooperative learning, and direct instruction
- Questioning strategies - overview and article with suggestions and examples
- Suggestions for writing and giving directions
- Assessment introduction and general information
- Classification theories and taxonomies
- Characteristics among talented students in |- mathematics | & | science-|
- Technology in education article
- Social skills : benefits, category list, social learning theory, research information, procedures for teaching social skills (indirect, direct, cooerative) & team building activity links
- Group building activities ... 40 Squares activity, 5 squares for introduction to teaching group work and cohesiveness, board walking, blanket flip, catch on and on, pretzels, hoola hoop race, & untangle
Notes and procedures for how to plan for teaching and learning
General teaching theory or model to use with all models and strategies
The big three instructional models or theories
1. Inductive or indirect theories: Learning cycle is a good representative of this type of model:
- Overview comparison chart for five different learning cycle lessons.
- Learning cycle essay
- Learning cycle Sample lesson video - traditional electric circuit investigation
- Learning cycle teacher and student actions during exploration, invention, expansions/discovery/application instructional indicators
- Sample learning cycle lessons from poor to better
- Common knowledge construction model
2. Cooperative theory:
3. Directed theory:
- 14 teaching strategies or procedures for different teaching models
- Reciprocal teaching
- Role play
- Instructional Strategies that work (Robert Marzano, Debra Pickering, and Jane Pollock).
- Brainstorming, creative thinking, divergent thinking, lateral thinking, & kicking ideas around suggestions & procedure.
- Maps, webs, and charts, to use with students as strategies for learning
- Map for the concept of - Survival - started
- Map for Animals - started
- Web for Colors - started
- Web - Compare and contrast - example started for a nickel and dime
- Web - Compare and contrast - blank
- Concept Chart - Juice mostly complete
- Chart - Interaction ready to use
- Chart - Concept examined ready to use - blank
- Frayer Model & three samples
- Notice and wonder worksheet
- What do you know? Worksheet for Form, Function, Connection, & Reflection as a procedure for deeper understanding
- Problem solving, metacognition, and reflection outline with focus points
- Thought Process for critical thinking, and Metacognition - thinking about thinking to use as guide, poster, or handout.
- Quality characteristics for scholarly or critical thinking to use as guide, poster, or handout
- Critical thinking goals & assessment
- Decision making and change
- Issue Analysis Heuristic - worksheet
- Position Analysis Heuristic - explanation and worksheet
- PQRST Single-sentence-pattern to present an argument - explanation and work sheet
- Reasoning & proof
- Steps and general considerations for Planning to Teach topics and big ideas
- Categories to consider when planning to teach Big Ideas, Concepts or Generalizations in map format
- Blank Concept Map
- Sample Concept Map for Sound
- Sample Concept Map for Classification
- Sample Concept Map for Mathematics Topic of Area
- Planning map of proof and reasoning
- Sample Concept Map for Dystopian Society
- Planning map for internal combustion four cycle engine
Assessment is embedded in planning and instruction so there will be some over lapping with the following links.
- Assessment and evaluation article: topics include:
Why assess? What is assessment? Assessment related tasks Selecting and unpacking ideas for assessment, Quality Assessment Standards - check list Determining outcomes What is authentic assessment? When do teachers assess students' attainment of outcomes? Four different times for assessment - diagnostic, formative, summative, and generative, Steps for Creating Criteria Referenced, Assessment Procedure for Creating a Scoring Guide or Rubric, Norm-Referenced tests, Accommodation information Assorted assessment and evaluation links, Practice assessment scenarios and role play for preprofessional and professional educators:
- Pros and Cons of a Standards, a National Curriculum and evaluation
- Sample checklist to use the National Science Standards to review curriculum
- Procedures and Guiding Principles for Assessment Decision Making to Insure Consistency, reliability, and Validity
- Metacognition ideas for reflection and self assessment suggestions or thinking starters
- Specific rubrics and scoring guides are located in subject area plans or integrated planning
- Electronic assessment management system. Does exit survey, quizzes, and games on laptops, tablets, & smart phones- Socrative by MasteryConnect is a multimillion dollar corporation that reached 21 million students and 1 million teachers in 175 countries as of June 2014.
Science specific planning ...
- Annotated step by step directions with examples on how to construct science content curriculum maps. Example is - magnetism for the early grades.
- Water Cycle Web Science Content mapped from preschool through science literacy
- Rocks - Rock Cycle Science Content map for the rock cycle model
- Science inquiry unpacked in outline form
- Science matter unpacked in table form
Creation of concept map across grade levels (K-8) for magnetism, unpacking standards, connecting concepts to child's understanding and outcomes
- Overview and mini lecture for Questioning ideas and strategies.
- Activities to practice questioning and wait-time | Raisins Activity | Cartesian diver |
- Sample questioning dialogue from Smile to Go by Jerry Spinelli
- Teacher Reflection - Ideas for reflecting -> mathematics instruction -> science instruction --->>> literature instruction --->>> writing instruction --->>>
- Some instructional indicators and lesson plan checklist - created 2001
- Microteaching | directions | forms |
... on the recommendation of my granddaughter, I saw Freedom Writers.
I was very glad I did. It is one of the best films I have seen. The film presents the struggles of teaching and the life of a teacher. The passion, desire, and commitment needed to determine and provide what students need for them to develop to the point of empowerment, as well as the persistence and determination to overcome barriers to provide it. While fear and hate are the major barriers depicted in this film, barriers of traditional schooling and public misconceptions of what it means to be educated and how to achieve it are just as great of barriers to be overcome for students to achieve a quality education. Find the time to see this film with a loved one. It has life long empowering possibilities.
The Freedom Writer's movie trailer
- Learning difficulties
- Listening & auditory processing
- Attention and ADD
- Reading comprehension
- Sound discrimination
- Language skills
Education in Madrawar, Afghanistan. 2006.
Late one February night, more than a dozen masked gun carrying Taliban burst into the 10-room girls' school in Nooria's village, Madrawar about 100 miles east of Kabul. They tied up and beat the night watchman, soaked the principal's office and the library with gasoline, set it on fire and escaped into the darkness.
The townspeople, who doused the blaze before it could spread, later found written messages from the gunmen promising to cut off the nose and ears of any teacher or student who dared to return.
The threats didn't work. Within days, most of the school's 650 pupils were back to their studies. Classes were held under a grove of trees in the courtyard for several weeks, despite the winter chill, until repairs inside the one-story structure were complete. Nearby schools replaced some of the library's books.
But the hate mail kept coming, with threats to shave the teacher's heads as well as mutilate their faces.
When, NEWSWEEK visited and talked to students and faculty on the last day of classes. Nooria, who dreams of becoming a teacher herself, expressed her determination to finish school.
"I'm not afraid of getting my nose and ears cut off," she said, all dressed up in a long purple dress and head scarf.
"I want to keep studying."
Newsweek June 26, 2006
Middle & High Schools
The American Academy of Pediatrics & Centers for Disease Control recommend classes should start at 8:30 a.m. of later.
Albert Einstein said,
"It is a grave error to suppose that the joy of seeing and seeking can be furthered by compulsion or sense of duty."