creative thinking, divergent thinking, lateral thinking, or kicking ideas around
Originated in the 1940's in
to generate creative solutions.
it is usually a good idea to review a set of rules.
- Accept all suggestions (no criticism) or bad ideas now.
- Encourage creativity. The wilder the idea the better.
- Build on ideas. Encourage combinations, improvements, free wheeling, and hitch-hiking.
- Generate a large number of ideas.
- Everyone says their idea out loud and each writes their own ideas.
- Use visuals: diagrams, sketches, webs, maps,
- Stay focused.
The 5-10 minute period, of brainstorming is the most productive.