Characteristics of education
Characteristics of quality schools
- Co learners
- Problem finding
- Continuous progress - homeostasis
- Growth mindset
- Rish taking
- Distributed authority
Industrial model, assembly line, production line, students as workers, or products
Characteristics of the learner
Beliefs on Education
- Education requires teaching.
- Teaching requires learning. When we teach we search to understand what the learner knows and through searching we interact with the learner to understand them and teach ourselves about teaching and learning.
- It is impossible to teach without being open and it is impossible to be open without inner security, just as it is impossible to have security without being open to taking risks.
- Education comes from a self-confident teacher who interacts with students who are curious and openly question what they know and what they don’t know to increase their autonomy in the process of becoming whatever they choose to become.
- Education requires emotional passion. Neutrality of education is impossible. Study for the sake of study is impossible. For what would you study? For whom? And why?
- Education is infinite and never finished. As we strive for a better understand of the world we discover more possibilities that lead us to see uncertainties and possibilities as infinite.
- Being educated is being unfinished and is ethical because we must allow students opportunities to make decisions for which some decisions may result in transgressions of not knowing.
- If education is singular, with only one view, then knowledge is dogmatic and will not provide the diversity and anti-fragility needed to survive all possible futures.
- There is no such thing as education without research (systematic investigation to verify information and new conclusions) and research without teaching.
- Education in a democracy must be ethical, fair, all inclusive, and strive for political involvement by all to care for a democracy to survive.