Down Hill Crash
- How far can a car push a bale of different weight?
- Can the car crash into a bale and not move the bale?
- What is the least amount the bale will move?
- How does adding weight (washers) to the bale change the distance it will slide when it is hit by the car?
- How does changing the angle change how far it will slide?
- How does adding weight to the car change the distance the bale will slide?
The tower for this track is the same as the K'Nex Down Hill Thrill tower. However, it is modified to make it shorter for some of the investigations. The track is from two sets, which are joined with the track stretched across the carpet with the car coming off onto tile.
- Distance was measured from the end of the track.
- The number of washers was changed from zero to seventeen for the investigation data below.
- Three trials were made and recorded in a spreadsheet and graphed with the software.
- Learners who participated were a mixed age group from 10-12 years old.
Data & graphs
Different Mass & Distance the Car Traveled on Tile from the End of the Track
Number of washers
Distance in inches
Mass of car & average distance car travels from end of track on tile
Graph with trials of car with different mass & the distance traveled from end of ramp on tile
Down Hill Thrill with double extended track
Back view extended track low level
Back view extended track high level
Bottom of ramp support
Back side view tower with a low level ramp