1. In the nursery rhyme, "The lion and the _______ were fighting for the crown...."
hippogriff unicron minotaur zebra
2. Often pictured wearing a wide brimmed straw hat, ________ was a mischievous little Parisian.
Amelia Coppelia Madeline Marilyn
3. In the Land of Oz the tin woodsman sought a heart, the scarecrow a brain, and the lion _______.
eloquence piety courage humility
4. Perpetually young, Peter Pan magically flies through the air often accompanied by Tinkerbelle and ___.
Wendy Wisteria Wilhemina Winina
5. Of all the characteristics of the animals and humans in the "Alice" stories, the smile on the _________ cat stands out in many readers memories.
Manx Calico Cheshire Siamese
6. Legends describe the _______ , a mythical bird that after death rises from its ashes.
phoenix albatross puffin dodo
7. Rumpelstillskin empowers the millers daughter to spin straw into ________.
glass gold tin silver
8. Curious George, a _______ was continuously embroiled in trouble.
dog cat pig monkey
9. In Johnny Gruells books, Raggedy Ann and Andy belonged to
Minerva Marcella Miribell Mabel
10. Mark Twain worked at many trades but records do not indicate he ever served as a _______.
journalist river pilot silversmith miner
11. Washington Irving describes schoolmaster Ichabod Crane in The Legend of Sleepy Hollow as
fearful brave handsome fat
12. Many men tried unsuccessfully to extract King Arthurs sword, _______, from its stone sheath.
Equalizer Excalibur Examiner Economizer
13. Frequently pictured with a tiny crown atop his huge head, Babar the elephant reigned over the jungle with his consort ________.
Carol Celeste Ceres Cecelia
14. In Rudyard Kiplings Jungle Book he tells of an East Indian boy named ________ who is raised by wild animals.
Kim Mowgli Baloo Shere Khan
15. In Robert Louis Stevensons Treasure Island, _________, the boy hero, narrowly evades death at the hands of the evil Long John Silver.
Jim Matt John Paul
ANSWER: (1) Unicorn (2) Madeline (3) courage (4) Wendy (5) Cheshire (6) phoenix (7) gold (8) monkey (9) Marcella (10) silversmith (11) fearful (12) Excalibur (13) Celeste (14) Mowgli (15) Jim
SCORING: 13-15 correct - You have a super memory; 10-12 correct - You have not-quite super memory; less than 10 correct - Who can remember that far back?