An eccentric person wants to make containers, or pools, with sidewalks around them. The only requirement is the pool and sidewalk sections have to be square.
Before deciding what size to build, the eccentric person, asks you to draw some squares with sidewalks around them so they can see what materials would be needed.
- What is the pattern for increasing the size of the pools?
- Write a formula or rule to use to determine how many squares the area of any sized square pool would be.
- What is the pattern for making a sidewalk around a square pool?
- Write a formula, or rule, to use to determine how many squares would be needed for a sidewalk around any sized square pool.
- What relationships is there between the two?