Water cycle unpacked
We forget that the water cycle and the life cycle are one.
Jacques Yves Cousteau
Water cycle map
Water cycle generalization, standard, or outcome for Eart hscience
The cycling of water in and out of the atmosphere plays an important part in determining climatic patterns: evaporating from the surface, rising and cooling, condensing into clouds and then into snow or rain, and falling again to the surface, where it collects in rivers, lakes, and porous layers of rock. There are also large areas on the Earth's surface covered by thick ice (Antarctica), which interacts with the atmosphere and oceans in affecting worldwide variations in climate.
Fresh water is an essential resource for daily life and industrial processes. We obtain our water from rivers and lakes and from water that moves below the Earth's surface. This groundwater, which is a major source for many people, takes a long time to accumulate in the quantities now bring used. In some places it is being depleted at a very rapid rate. Moreover, many sources of fresh water cannot be used because they have been polluted.
Related concepts and vocabulary
- Aquifer is an underground layer of rock and other earth material that has water.
- Contaminants are object that make air, food, or water unsafe.
- Dam is a barrier built to hold water and raise its level.
- Filtration system is a way of cleaning earth materials and other unhealthy objects from air and water.
- Ground water is water the collects in an aquifer. It is important for drinking and other daily use.
- Indoor plumbing is a system of pipes and other equipment that provides water for drinking and washing and carries away water (sewage) in houses and other structures.
- Oasis is a fertile spot in a desert with water.
- Pollute is to make dirty or unhealthy.
- Reservoir is a natural or artificial lake used as a source of water supply.
- Saturated is full of water.
- Surface water is the water in pounds, lakes, rivers.
- Water scarcity is the lack of clean usable water.
Four spheres or round subsystems of the planet Earth
- Atmosphere is all the gases on Earth
- Biosphere is all the living objects on Earth
- Geosphere is all the rock on Earth
- Hydrosphere is all the water
- water cycle https://homeofbob.com/science/actPlans/earth/waterCycleBSLM.html
- weather https://thehob.net/science/actPlans/earth/weatherRDS.html
- Water is life How far would you walk for a drink of clean water?
Only one in three people on Earth have easy access to safe drinking water.
- Have you heard about the Dust bowl?
And early childhood
- How many oceans and seas are there?
- What makes an ocean and sea? (What separates bodies of water? Basin?)
- What does precipitation look like in different parts of our world?
Water’s Children: Celebrating the Resources that Unites Us All. by Angele DeLaunois illustrated by Gerard Frischeteau
Shows 12 children who live in 12 different places on Earth who share information about what water is used for and why it is important for them. picture book, water, early grades, non fiction,
Photo affinity water’s …